Harpsichord after Iberian School, 20th Century
This interesting harpsichord is one of a small group of instruments to emerge some years ago purporting to be late 17th or early 18th century harpsichords from the Iberian school of instrument making. This instrument is now recognised as being a 20th century representation of a region & period from which very few original instruments survive. This instrument passed through a well known London auction house in the 1990s and was subsequently acquired by a major collection, where it remained in store until we had the opportunity to acquire it for restoration and sale.
The compass of this harpsichord is 4 octaves (45 notes, C/E–c³), with 2×8′ registers and lute stop. The keyboard is in pear with boxwood naturals and walnut sharps, the soundboard in spruce and the jacks in pear with delrin plectra. The instrument is strung in period brass and iron. The case is painted and the inscription above the keys reads: "Fr. Ant. L. Fec. ⁄ Gloria Deo ⁄ Año D. 1716".
Dimensions: 1945 × 736 × 224mm. Overall height: 958mm. This instrument is tuned to a¹=415.
This instrument was restored to full playing condition in our workshops.
This harpsichord was sold in 2017.
Below is a recording of this harpsichord made at our workshop of ′Todesca′ by Giovanni Picchi, published in 1621, showing both 8′ registers individually then together.
And a recording from ′Corrente N°4′ by Michelangelo Rossi, published in 1657, showing the lute register. Our thanks to Penelope Cave for the performances.