Harpsichord after Johannes Hasard 1622
The original of this instrument is the earliest known extant English harpsichord and resides at Knowle House in Kent. The original is now sadly just a shell on it’s stand, with only the wrestplank, lower registers and tuning pins remaining. Our copy of this instrument was based upon Darryl Martin’s 2004 thesis and drawing, together with articles published in the Galpin Society Journal, with the decoration based on Peter & Ann MacTaggart’s examination of the instrument.
The case and stand are in oak, with the baseboard in pine, the soundboard in cedar, the bridges and nut in pear. The compass is 53 notes, GG,AA–c3, with one 8′ and two 4′ registers.